Friday, February 27, 2009

I've Become One Of Those People

Well, this has been a little bit in the making. I've seen it coming, but just didn't want to admit it. Or actually, deal with it. But today as I was walking the girls, (God usually speaks to me on my walks with the dogs, or is it that I take the time to listen I think), about Sophie.

I've never been a "dog person". Although my Good Friend who is one, has said she thinks I always have been, I just didn't know it. She's probably right. Friends usually are, and She is a good one. I know God has used this dog to fill a place in my heart that was needed.

Sophie is always at my feet, on my lap, under my chair, by my side. She just wants to be near me, love me, and receive my love for her. This has been nice since my peeps are all teenagers,(one adult), and like I've said before, think they don't need me.
I understand this, and actually look at it as having done something right in their upbringing. But a mothers heart is still a mothers heart. I think if I were to put it into words I would have to say, our peeps are growing up faster than my heart can keep up with...

Sophie has helped in that adjustment, and I am grateful to God for that.
But like children, our dogs can be allowed to get out of control, and I am guilty of that.


My peeps not only don't enjoy Sophie, they don't care for her. That is my fault. I have turned my head in the other direction, made excuses, and even denied some of her behavior as being something that needed correction.

She is a wonderful dog. Smart, loving, wanting to please. She is for the most part, a well behaved dog. She just needs a little bit more correction now and then. And isn't it funny that I "got it" from none other than my own peeps. The ones that I purposely as they were growing up, corrected when needed, didn't make excuses for their behavior, didn't turn my head when they did something they really shouldn't.

And so I will talk to my peeps today, and tell them they were right. I have allowed Sophie to "get away with too much", and this will change. I certainly don't want to take a gift that I know was from God, and not take care of it for all of us to enjoy. And Sophie is certainly a gift.

Hugs from Maine

17 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

She's precious. How could she possibly do anything wrong??? The peeps are just jealous!!! Enjoyed the pictures!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I have a cat like that. She follows me everywhere. She's a great companion. But as sweet as she can be, she can also be mean and vicious. Unfortunately with cats, you can only do so much training :o) She is getting better as she gets older.

Your dog is beautiful! I love the pictures! I hope you can get her under "control"!

Katiee said...

Its oodles of fun when she licks the dishes when their Clean...Yay for Sophie! :p

Tami said...

What wonderful pictures....the one with Sophie licking the dishwasher makes me smile!

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

Sophie is so sweet! Dogs are the best....we have some friends in Ohio, and they have a German Shepherd named Shadow, and she is the sweetest, funnest dog! She would just get up on the couch beside me and lay her head down on my lap, and that was THE best feeling, just pure contentment.

Juli said...

I know exactly what you are saying. My "peeps" are 18 and 15 very independent. Last April we lost our beloved Dakota to kidney failure. He was my pal. He sat with me and watch "chick flick" much to his disliking I am sure but he knew I needed him. In May we adopted another Australian Shepherd pup we named Dawson. Now Dawson is a female. I am thinking this will be great another female in this house full of males. Well she is the sweetest most loving little (45 lbs) thing you would ever meet trouble is she is a high strung puppy. She has chewed up more things in the past 9 months than I care to mention. Part of the problem is we let her get away with too much and with 4 of us reprimanding her we are always sending different messages. I know in time the puppy stage will pass and she will understand her boundaries but for now it is very hard. Especially when they look at you with those sweet little eyes. Be firm and know that you are not the only one who is becoming "one of those people" What kind of dog is Sophie? She is so cute.

Linda said...

My dog is constantly by my side too. I love it. We've tried some of the Dog Whisperer's techniques with her and she responds really well. It's worth checking out.

Ok, your previous post ... when did you sneak into my house and take those photos of MY laundry room? Scary honest there. Just don't go looking under the beds.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Isn't there a Proverb that says, "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a dog but the rod of correction will drive it far from him?" I wish you well!

Pam said...

It's wonderful that you can actually admit it! Dogs do seem to have this way of stealing the very core of your heart don't they? They give unconditional love, are always excited to see you, and never talk back! I wish you well in talking with your peeps. I'm sure they'll appreciate the honesty.

BTW, I went T.J. Maxxin' today thanks to you. I have my new guest room to decorate and after seeing all of your great finds I couldn't stay away. I found some myself. I'll post about them if I ever get this stinkin' computer to behave.

Have a great weekend.
Pam

Robert said...

I lover cocker spaniels. We had one for 16 years, her name was "puddles." We had a male cocker named "squirt."
Now we have a cockapoo...great with my girls, very playful

Barb said...

Sophie is a cutie,and aren't our peeps always the first to let us know when a pet needs correction? (LOL)love the message you left me, do you still have that much snow? brrrrrr....Barb

Tara said...

She is beautiful. My kids say that about my dog too! I am thinking they may be a little jealous. Dogs are good company. Maybe doggie school intervention? She looks fine to me in the pics though.

Chris said...

Uh oh. Sounds like Sophie's in for a rude awakening! Good luck wtih all that! :)

Anonymous said...

Sophie looks like a cutie! I'm sure she's got a lot of personality.

-FringeGirl

life in red shoes said...

What a lucky pup! They do fill a void, don't they?

CoffeePraise said...

Good morning! I just found your blog via Kim @ Homesteader's Heart...I've read several entries and wow!....I may have a new favorite blog! ;) LOVE your decorating style and sense but I didn't know CountryHome was done!! How sad.
Well, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself!

Have a blessed day...

Maria

trish said...

Your post really touches my heart. I get it. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne